Monday, March 28, 2011

UNHIDE Hidden Files due to Virus

I have been putting up with my pendrive that is infected with virus for a long time. It usually happens when I want to print at my university's library. As a result, all of the files that I once used to print especially word documents got infected.






At first I panicked because all of my hard effort was wasted since viruses are known to corrupt or destroy your files and folders. After scanning my pendrive using a normal anti-virus I managed to get rid of the virus. However, the files were still hidden. I did my homework and was determined to know how to solve this problem and with in just a few minutes I managed to do so. Yeay~!! No need for any software that will only clutter your computer. Just simple command.






This is how you do it.


First, for XP, you need to go to any windows explorer (which simply means the window you use to open any files). As shown below, I opened My Computer.



1. Click on Tools and then Folder Options.
2. In Folder Options, click on the View tab.
3. Check the Show hidden files and folders button.
4. Untick/uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) button.
Last of all click Apply. Remember to close the Windows Explorer too before follwing the next step below.






Next what you need to do is open command which can be easily accessed at Start then go to Run and in the box type cmd then press Enter. On default, the files displayed is on C: so it is simply a matter of changing the location of your file. In my case, my pendrive located in F: is infected. So below (in red boxes) are the commands that I typed according to sequence.





1. Type the location of your file/folder followed by collon (:). Eg: f: Then press Enter
2. Type exactly as what I've shown here with the small stars, dots and spaces: attrib -s -r -h *.* followed by Enter.

If there are any malicious EXE files those are now visible so if unnecessary delete them too.

If you access is denied due to AUTORUN.INF, follow the third step below:
3. Standby one hand on your flash drive when you are about to press Enter.
Type del autorun.inf (Remember! On pressing Enter, remove your flash drive instantly.) and press Enter.






VOILA~!! That's about it. Then you can stick your flash drive back in and presume your work as normal. If you can't see any changes, that is because you didn't close your Windows Explorer when I told you to. It will just work out fine if you close it then open it back again. Good luck trying guys :)

1 comment:

Zikri Husaini said...

thank for the tips... :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

[ nuffsaid ]